Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Life is Sometimes Kind of Weird

Jeff the Musician was at my house last night. He wanted to share with me a new song he had written but he didn't have his guitar with him. He was disgusted with us for not having an acceptable alternate instrument.

"I could go get my accordion," Gretchen offered.

There were a few seconds of silence then, slowly, every head in the room turned toward her.

"I'm sorry, your what?" I asked, dumbfounded that I could live with someone for so long and still be so unaware of her musical holdings.

"Uh, my accordion?" she repeated, disappearing into the basement. She was greeted with squeals and applause on her return a few minutes later, laden with a dusty accordion.

The apparatus was passed around the room; all of us immediate children, giggling as we pushed buttons and made funny noises. Keith called in the middle of my (fantastic) composition. He asked, "Hey, what are you up to?"

"Uh, I'm playing a freakin' accordion, that's what I'm up to."

He paused and then said, "Hang on, you're pla . . . what? Where are you?"

"I'm on my couch, Keith," I said. "I am on my couch playing an accordion. Can you even deal with that awesome?"

Then I put him on speakerphone so he could hear me play the accordion because I didn't want him to think I'm one of those girls who will tell people on the phone that she's playing an accordion when she's really not. You know the type.

He told me it was the best accordion music he'd heard all day*. Aww, shucks.



*Did you just think of Roy from Season 3 of The Office, too? "Your art was the prettiest art of all the art."

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Dear Kim,
Hi, yes I ready your blog sometimes. I'm so so very jealous of you right now. I have been dreaming of playing an accordion for exactly 5 months now, and in fact thought of it again last night while I was jogging and listening to Natalie Merchant, accompanied by accordion on my iPod, and I thought, WHY? Why don't I have one yet? I was so perplexed by my lack of accordion that I actually came home and looked for one on ebay before I took a shower.

And then I remembered I'm a student and I don't have money and also I own enough musical instruments that I need to learn how to play.

Lucky.
<3Theresa

Kim said...

That's great.

After I turned out to be pretty awesome on the accordion, I got all in a tizzy about how I wanted to take accordion lessons. Roommates pulled the veto card. (But we all know I never do what I'm told.)

Kim said...

http://www.slaac.com/index.htm

Alanna said...

I just have to say that posts like this are why I keep reading your blog, even though I've never met you. I'm jealous, too, and I don't really play any musical instruments!