Friday, December 7, 2007

Something seems fishy about this.

I have a fish. A beautiful purple male betta fish named Dorothy. (I know that Dorothy is a girl's name but I let a room full of two-year-olds name him.)

Anyway, this morning I was cutting up an apple for breakfast when the most bizarre thing happened. Dorothy started flipping out! He was thrashing around in his bowl and then rammed into the side of the bowl three times in quick succession. He then floated up to the top of the bowl (belly-up) and I could see that his back was bent in a weird angle. He was dead. Dead, dead, dead. Sad, huh?

I left him in the bowl and went to work after letting my roommates know that they shouldn't look in the tank, and that I'd take care of it when I got home.

So, after work I called my sister and she thought it would be fun to take the boys to the pet store to get a new fish. We went to the "fish shop" and Jake helped pick out the new fish.

I got home tonight with my new fish ready to clean out the bowl and put the new (and unnamed) fish in his new home.

BUT DOROTHY WAS SWIMMING AROUND IN THE BOWL!

I would swear up and down that fish was dead this morning. My mom suggests that maybe running into the side of the bowl knocked him out for a few minutes and then he woke up after I had left. I'm just glad I didn't flush him right away.

So, now I have two fish. I can't put them in the same bowl or they will eat each other so the unnamed one is currently residing in a large glass vase on the kitchen counter.

Weird, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a Christmas miracle! And here's why two is betta: you have the perfect white elephant for your next gift exchange. You've already exchanged? Well, how about an offering for your home teachers? A holiday tip for your mail carrier? A present for your boss? A donation for the next food bank pick-up?

One tip: give Dorothy. Who knows how many times he/she will resurrect? And really, keeping a fish tank clean for one fish life span seems long enough. Outlive your fish and keep the newbie.