Monday, June 22, 2009

I like movies to be plausible. I know, I know . . . I love sci-fi movies (and fantasy movies but please do not tell anyone--it's so embarrassing) and it seems contradictory that, with such tastes, I expect movies to be actually feasible but hey, I'm a pretty contradictory girl. That's why my roommates won't watch Top Gun with me; I keep spouting off about how "there's no way they would get away with that," and "that is so factually inaccurate!" Another of my catch-phrases is "While that isn't impossible, it's not very probable." Ah, they love me.

Hand in hand with that, I hate when movies portray people who are confused by their death. Like in The Sixth Sense, I hated that the guy didn't know he was actually dead. And in Ghost, it was awful that Sam was scared and confused and alone. I hate it because it's so inaccurate.

Now, I'm not saying I know what exactly happens when we die. I don't know what it feels like, I don't know what it looks like, I don't know what the experience is like. I don't know.

But what I do know is God is in control and God loves us. Even when we don't recognize Him, He loves us. I know that He is with us always and He will not abandon us at the end. And while I couldn't tell you everything about the afterlife, I can tell you this: we won't be confused and we won't be alone.

Last night I stood by helpless and wordless as a friend wept over her passing father. I wished I had the right words, I longed for the eloquent phrases to come but I remained inarticulately mute.

Even now, I have nothing for my darling friend except this: He was not alone. He is not alone. And neither are you.

Comments off