Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Lesson on Conversation Segues

We've all been there: the lull in a conversation. Maybe you've exhausted your body of information about the subject at hand. Maybe someone has made a conclusive statement and you find yourself at a loss for a response. Whatever the reason, a lull means it's time for a new topic. But how, you might ask, does one begin a new topic in a conversation? The answer, of course, is by implementing a segue.


Here are a list of examples of things you could say when you're ready to begin a new subject: (All these examples come from personal experience, i.e. I've actually said all of these things in recent conversations with other humans. I'm so not making this up.)



"So, you heard about Hitler, huh? Man, that's messed up."



"You know that one part in Braveheart when William Wallace's wife is killed? Dude, that part is so freakin' sad."



"What is up with musical theatre anyway?"




What do you do in a conversation lull?

6 comments:

Dale said...

How about,

"I've run out of things to say but I don't want to stop talking to you."

If I started a conversation about Hitler with a pretty lady it probably wouldn't end the way I want it to end. Nazis can be a real turn off, know what I mean?

Oh sure, the history is interesting but nobody gets in the mood for lovin after discussing the holocaust. It would be too weird.

I'll be sure to think up some good segues for next time. ;-)

Kim said...

Well, this is news to me. I always thought genocide was the perfect pillow talk.


P.S. I thought your comment was quite darling.

Celestial Soldier said...

What about musical theater?

Kim said...

Only that it's totally awesome and men who are involved in it are way hot. That's all I meant.

Celestial Soldier said...

Chances are though, they're probably gay.

(How do I say this without making me sound gay?)

)en said...

If a conversation runs the risk of awkwardness and multiple lulls, I'll have probably checked out long ago to even notice.