Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Let's Go Exploring!

Last night, during one of my organizing-of-the-clutter rampages, I spent a little time down in our basement. Basements are a curiosity to me; they don't have 'em where I grew up and they've always seemed to me a foreign and magical world, ripe for exploring. Turns out, you can discover a lot in basements.

I discovered that when my roommate told that cute, outdoorsy guy in the ward she "totally would be into fishing because [she's] always wanted to do that," she wasn't kidding.
I discovered what my roommate reads in her free time.
I discovered that no one in this house is allowed to buy another lamp.
I discovered why I always get the creepy feeling that someone is watching me when I'm doing my laundry.
I discovered that no matter how many times my roommate tells me this chair "totally went with the theme of the room," I will never stop snickering at it.

I discovered this thing. Upon inspection, I found it to be a ceramic planter. My first thought when I saw it, however, was "chamber pot."
I discovered what people needed to survive in 1962. I was disappointed to find this was empty.
I discovered my roommate is one of the eight people who enjoyed She's All That enough to purchase the VHS.
Partial Basement Inventory

Vacuums: 2
Lamps: 6
Microwaves: 2
Christmas Trees: 5
Chairs/Stools: 17
Televisions: 4
Kitchen Tables: 2
Foosball Tables: 1
Containers of Laundry Detergent: 7
Cans of Paint: 22


What's in your basement?

8 comments:

Karen said...

I'm glad that most of my treasures are buried and almost inaccessible in the basement! Although, the chair is quite attractive, isn't it? I'm sure its owner would do something totally different with it now.

Kristina P. said...

Basements. Where horrible things go to die.

Celestial Soldier said...

1257 DVDs, 2 Roommates and their bedrooms, 4 Guitars, 2 electronic drum sets, 2 Sheepskin rugs, 1 foosball table, Me, My Office (I can't even see it anymore it's so cluttered) 1 PS3, 3 X-Boxs, 1 year's supply food storage for me, 1 spin bike, 16 blankets, 12 pillows, 1 Christams tree and ornaments, 3 life jackets, 18 scrap books, 1 Piano, Recording equipment, 2 Luv Sacs, Couches, Movie Posters, Ben's Wall of Shame, 1 mini fridge... That's just off the top of my head.

I don't believe in unused rooms.

Mrs. B. Roth said...

My mom is in my basement (thanks Kristina P., ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - it's only funny cuz it's true!)

Brittany said...

At least you don't have to buy laundry detergant for a while. That's always a plus.

Lizzy said...

the wadders are my brothers and I'm storing them for him but thanks for pointing out that they're down there. Maybe I can still go fishing with that really cute guy!!!

The "chamber pot" has a great story and I have a scar on my hand that goes with it. Don't throw it out!

and why are you telling the world what we have anyway??

Kim said...

What are "wadders"?

Mel said...

I would offer to take the chair back, but then we would have to take back all of the animals heads that made the decor "whole." Can't bring myself to it. Besides, I sold most of the dead/stuffed animals at a garage sale....Karen's right, I could think of something new to do with it. Remind me to show you a picture of the manly room some day.